Director of Account Management
Can you lead greatness to greaterness?
Our team has the talent to do incredible things. Which is good because our clients expect that, and more.
We need a Director of Account Management who gets excited about helping shape and build what’s next. Someone who gets a thrill from helping the people on our team grow into their full potential. Someone who is confident to guide clients down the right path and our team toward the right solutions. Someone who believes in the value of a great brand strategy and who collaborates across departments to develop ones that lead to indifference-fighting creativity. Someone clients want with them in the boardroom to help deliver that big presentation, and in the local bar with them to try that new seasonal IPA. Someone who is both strategic and hands on, tenacious and humble, passionate and fun.
For the second time in the past three years, The Variable is an Ad Age Southeast Small Agency of the Year (2017, 2015). We work across a variety of categories from grilling to grocery to apparel to healthcare to CPG to whatever we decide to do next. (Did you hear about the beverage brand we created and brought to shelves ourselves? Cause we did.)
We are looking for non-traditional thinkers. Teammates who succeed at The Variable come up with brilliant strategies and campaigns one day and breakthrough product development ideas the next. You need to be the self-starting, strategic-thinking, entrepreneurial type. You need to be funny and engaging and hardworking and willing to pitch in on whatever crazy opportunity pops up next. We are small by design. So we hire carefully.
- Partner with the executive vice president to drive long-term account planning, growth, and success
- Share responsibility and accountability for agency profitability, and help account teams learn how to manage accounts profitably
- Collaborate with director-level team to help us continue to improve how we work together to deliver the very best for our clients and ourselves
- Look at each piece of the pie in new and unexpected ways; challenge conventions and assumptions and inspire clients to do the same
- Collaborate and partner with creative teams and strategic planners to lead our team to greatness on every at-bat with thinking and creative work that always exceeds client expectations and continually raises our own bar
- Lead key client partnerships, including: interaction with senior-level clients (CEOs, CMOs, Directors, etc.); relationship reviews; attending and contributing in relevant meetings; developing and leading presentations, etc.
- Lead account teams through inspirational and hands-on leadership, providing active mentoring, and opportunities to lead and own their work
- Know great creative work when you see it, help make it better and sell it through
- Assist in new business opportunities
- Embody the values of The Variable, and maintain a positive attitude and commitment to our people and our culture. (We spend more time each week together than we do with the people and places and pets we love deeply. So, we want spending our days with each other to be worth it.)
- Desire to develop and grow in your own role
- Have an interest outside of advertising that you are just as passionate about as advertising (we are firm believers in work/life balance…we need to know you love something else).
- 12+ years of marketing/advertising experience
- At least 5+ years of agency experience
- A track record of being awesomely awesome (if your clients and colleagues will cry when you resign, that’s a good indicator)
- Innate strategic thinking skills
- Proven track record of delivering inspiring work that drives business impact for client partners
- Demonstrated ability to engage with senior-level clients and agency leaders
- Knowledge of traditional, digital and non-traditional advertising
- The motivation to always deliver the best work
- The ability to lead account teams without micromanaging them