CAN YOU LEAD GREATNESS TO GREATERNESS?
Our team is amazing at creating indifference-fighting work that moves people out of their natural
state of uncaring about things. Which is good, because indifference is the fiercest, most unrelenting
competitor our clients face every day.
We need an account director who is confident enough to guide clients down the right paths and our
team toward the right solutions. Someone who can artfully manage neither being the agency’s
mouthpiece to the client nor the client’s mouthpiece to the agency. Someone who can push back in
a way that makes people love them even more for doing it. Someone who is both strategic AND
hands on, tenacious AND humble, passionate AND fun.
We work across a variety of categories from grocery to healthcare to restaurants to CPG to
whatever we decide to do next. (Did you hear about the beverage we created and brought to
market ourselves? Cause we did. Or that we have a commercial screen print press within our
walls? Cause we do).
We are looking for non-traditional thinkers. Teammates who succeed at The Variable come up with
brilliant strategies and campaigns one day and breakthrough product development ideas the next.
You need to be the self-starting, strategic-thinking, entrepreneurial type. You need to be funny and
engaging and hard working and willing to pitch in on whatever crazy opportunity pops up next. We
are small by design. So we hire carefully.
- Partner with the director of account management to drive long-term account planning, growth
- Look at each piece of the pie in new and unexpected ways; challenge conventions and
assumptions and inspire clients to do the same.
- Collaborate and partner with creative teams and strategic planners to lead our team to
greatness on every at-bat with thinking and creative work that always exceeds client
expectations and continually raises our own bar.
- Lead key client partnerships, including: interaction with senior-level clients; attending relevant
meetings, developing and leading presentations
- Lead account teams through inspirational and hands-on leadership, providing active mentoring,
opportunities to lead and growth.
- Know great creative work when you see it, help make it better and sell it through.
- Manage accounts to meet profitability goals
- Assist in New Business opportunities
- Embody the values of The Variable while maintaining a positive attitude and dedication.
- Want to develop, grow and supervise team members.
- Have an interest outside of advertising that you are just as passionate about as advertising (we
are firm believers in work/life balance…we need to know you love something else).
- 8-10+ years of marketing/advertising experience preferred
- 5+ years of agency experience
- A track record of being awesomely awesome (if your clients and colleagues will cry when you
resign, that’s a good indicator that you’re awesomely awesome)
- Innate strategic thinking skills
- Proven track record of delivering inspiring work that is effective in-market.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with senior-level clients and agency leaders.
- Knowledge of traditional, digital and non-traditional advertising.
- The motivation to always deliver the best work
- The ability to lead account teams without micromanaging them
- The coveted skills of organization, detail-orientation and multi-tasking-ation